1. Health

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:


was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Most Emailed Articles

Low-Carb Snacks


State Mental Health Agency
For more information about admission, care, treatment, release, and patient follow-up in public or private psychiatric residential facilities, contact your State mental health agency:

Department of Mental Health
25 Staniford Street
Boston, MA 02114
Phone: 617-626-8123
Fax: 617-626-8131

State Protection and Advocacy Agency
Each State has a protection and advocacy agency that receives funding from the Federal Center for Mental Health Services. Agencies are mandated to protect and advocate for the rights of people with mental illnesses and to investigate reports of abuse and neglect in facilities that care for or treat individuals with mental illnesses. These facilities, which may be public or private, include hospitals, nursing homes, community facilities, board and care homes, homeless shelters, jails, and prisons. Agencies provide advocacy services or conduct investigations to address issues that arise during transportation or admission to such facilities, during residency in them, or within 90 days after discharge from them. Contact:

The Disability Law Center, Inc.
11 Beacon Street, Suite 925
Boston, MA 02108
Phone: 617-723-8455
Fax: 617-723-9125
Toll-free: 800-872-9992 (Statewide)
E-mail: dlc@gbls.org
Internet: www.dlc-ma.org
TTY: 617-227-9464 or 800-381-4577

Center for Public Representation
22 Green Street
Northampton, MA 01060
Phone: 413-587-6265
Fax: 413-586-5711
E-mail: hn5348@handsnet.org

Health Care Financing Administration
The Health Care Financing Administration, which is part of the Department of Health and Human Services, investigates some complaints about treatment facilities that receive Medicare and Medicaid funding. For further information at the national level, contact:

Health Care Financing Administration
7500 Security Boulevard
Baltimore, MD 21244-1850
Phone: 410-786-3000
E-mail: webmaster@hcfa.gov
Internet: www.hcfa.gov

You may also share your concerns with staff at the Health Care Financing Administration office in your area, which is Region 1. The regional office address and telephone number are:

Boston Regional Office
Health Care Financing Administration
John F. Kennedy Federal Building, Room 2325
Boston, MA 02203-0003
Phone: 617-565-1188
Fax: 617-565-1339
Internet: www.hcfa.gov

Advocacy Organizations
The National Mental Health Association maintains a referral and information center and can help you locate local chapters. These local groups have information about community services and engage in national and state level advocacy. For more information about the association, write or call:

National Mental Health Association Information Center
1021 Prince Street
Alexandria, VA 22314-2971
Phone: 703-684-7722
Fax: 703-684-5968
Toll-free: 800-969-6642
TTY: 800-433-5959
E-mail: infoctr@nmha.org
Internet: www.nmha.org

The National Alliance for the Mentally Ill maintains a helpline for information on mental illnesses and referrals to local groups. The local self-help groups have support and advocacy components and offer education and information about community services for families and individuals. For information about the Alliance's affiliates and activities in your State, contact:

Tobias Fisher, Executive Director
NAMI Massachusetts
400 West Cummings Park, Suite 6650
Woburn, MA 01801
Phone: 781-938-4048
Fax: 781-938-4069
Toll-free: 800-370-9085 (Statewide)
E-mail: namimass@aol.com
Internet: www.namimass.org

The Federal of Families for Children's Mental Health is a national parent-run organization focused on the needs of children and youth with emotional, behavioral or mental disorders and their families. They provide support and information on a wide range of issues and make referrals to local chapters. These local groups have support and advocacy components. For information about the Federation and the chapter in your State, contact:

Federation of Families for Children's Mental Health
1101 King Street, Suite 420
Alexandria, Virginia 22314
Phone: 703 684-7710
Fax: 703-836-1040
E-mail: ffcmh@ffcmh.org
Internet: www.ffcmh.org

Statewide consumer organizations are run by and for consumers of mental health services and promote consumer empowerment. These organizations provide information about mental health and other support services at the State level and are active in addressing and advocating for mental health system issues. For information about consumer activities in your area, contact:

Deborah Delman, Co-Coordinator
197 Ashmont Street
Boston, MA 02124
Phone: 617-929-4111
Fax: 617-929-4128
Toll-free: 877-769-7693 (Statewide)
E-mail: info@m-power.org
Internet: www.m-power.org

Stephen Holochuck, Director
Office of Consumer and Ex-Patient Relations
Department of Mental Health
25 Staniford Street
Boston, MA 02114
Phone: 617-626-8000
Fax: 617-626-9591

Other Sources of Information
There are many sources of information that you can tap. Your area mental health authority, which is generally a part of the local government, may be useful. Other branches of your city or county government also may be able to help. For example, the education office might have information about help for children, and the agency for the aging might know about services for senior citizens. In addition, your family physician or area hospital may be able to make referrals. For legal advice, contact your local bar association. Also, your local library and telephone yellow pages may have resource lists for sources of help in your community.


Back to the Index of State Mental Health Resources

These State resources were compiled by a U.S. Government agency - the Knowledge Exchange Network at http://www.mentalhealth.org .

©2016 About.com. All rights reserved.

We comply with the HONcode standard
for trustworthy health
information: verify here.